Meredith Sidewater is Senior Counsel at Patrick Law Group, and has over 21 years of experience practicing in-house for large, global corporations, including as General Counsel. Having served as General Counsel for a multi-billion dollar, global data and analytics business, Meredith has extensive experience managing, drafting and negotiating complex commercial transactions, advising businesses operating in regulated industries, providing privacy law advice, managing corporate acquisitions and divestitures, and resolving government investigations and complex litigation.
Prior to joining Patrick Law Group, Meredith was Executive Vice President and General Counsel for LexisNexis Risk Solutions Inc., a provider of data, advanced analytics and technology solutions for a wide range of industries including insurance, financial services, healthcare and government. She spent twenty years at the company (starting with ChoicePoint Inc., which was acquired by LexisNexis in 2008). During her twenty years with the company, Meredith actively participated in more than 40 acquisitions and divestitures,and countless significant commercial transactions, including the negotiation of a long-term agreement between the Brazilian banking industry’s main federation and Brazil’s top-five banks to design and build a new credit intelligence bureau.
Meredith also has substantial experience advising clients in the design of data driven decisioning solutions to ensure compliance with federal, state and international privacy laws, and spent the last twenty years advising her corporate client about laws including the Fair Credit Reporting Act, the Drivers Privacy Protection Act, the Gramm-Leach-Bliley Act, the California Consumer Privacy Act, the General Data Protection Regulation and similar laws and regulations. During her time at LexisNexis, Meredith instituted and managed the Regulatory Compliance group responsible for the development of the company’s compliance management system. Meredith also oversaw the legal work associated with the company’s readiness for GDPR and CCPA compliance. Meredith has experience dealing directly with the Federal Trade Commission, the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau, state attorneys general, and the Information Commissioner’s Office in the United Kingdom.
Having served as General Counsel for a global corporation, Meredith prides herself on providing clients with the highest quality legal advice in a cost-conscious manner. She understands the pressures in-house lawyers face supporting their clients’ legal needs while managing to a budget.
Meredith is a graduate of the Leadership Atlanta class of 2019. She serves on the board of The Howard School, CURE Childhood Cancer, and Carpe Data (a data and analytics company serving the insurance industry). Meredith previously served on the boards of the Metropolitan Atlanta Chapter of the American Red Cross, Komen Atlanta, the General Counsel Forum, and the Consumer Data Industry Association. Meredith volunteers with Imerman Angels as a mentor for women facing a genetic predisposition for breast and ovarian cancer. Meredith is a member of the National Association of Women Lawyers.
Presentations and Articles
- Author, “Government Efforts to Fight a Pandemic Challenge Data Privacy Concerns.” JD Supra, March 24, 2020
- Author, “While you’ve been focused on CCPA Compliance Efforts, Elon has Been Developing Cyborgs.” JD Supra, December 16, 2019
- Speaker, “The Last Twelve Months in the World of In-House Counsel.” Eversheds Sutherland Global Relationship Firm Conference, 2018
- Speaker, “Lessons From Women Who Lead By Example.” National Association of Women Lawyers, Regional General Counsel Institute & Pipeline to Equity Partnership Program, April 22, 2016
- Speaker, “European Data Fortress: The Future of EU-U.S. Data Transfers.” IAPP Atlanta KnowledgeNet, March 3, 2016
- Interviewee, “Taking a Moment to Talk About Ovarian Cancer.” Atlanta Journal-Constitution, March 26, 2015
- Interviewee, “Cunning Career Tips From a Former Litigator.” Forefront Magazine, November 2013
- Interviewee, “Finding the Luck in Unlucky News.” Atlanta Jewish Times, September 21, 2013
- Interviewee, “Executive Profile.” Atlanta Trend, February 2013
University of Georgia School of Law, J.D. (1993)
University of Michigan, B.A. (1990)